Weight Loss by Yoga
Yoga is not an exercise form. You will not need any equipment. All you need is a six-by-six space on the floor. You will be super-fit and can build your muscle and everything. The only thing is you won’t become bunched-up with muscle. It is not just strength or the bulge of your muscle, but the flexibility of your body that is as important for the proper functioning of the system. The word 'Yoga' has been derived from the Sanskrit word 'Yug' which refers to the union of our individual consciousness and the universal consciousness. Let’s now talk about a few yoga asanas that help build your muscle strength, tone your body, and help you lose weight.
1. Vriksasana (Tree Pose) for Weight Loss
The word comes from the sanskrit word Vriksha mean Tree. This pose or asana is also called tree pose.
This asana improves:
- Weight Loss
- increases the range of motion in the hips
- deepens the thorax
- strengthens the ankles
- tones the muscles of the legs, back and chest
Hold for 30 seconds, and repeat on the other side.
2. Trikonasana (Triangle pose) for Weight Loss
The name comes from the Sanskrit words Trikona meaning "triangle.
Practice of this asana causes Weight Loss, improves the flexibility of the spine, corrects alignment of the shoulders, relieves backache, gastritis, indigestion, acidity, flatulence; massages and tones the pelvic organs, corrects the effects of a sedentary lifestyle or faulty posture, assists treatment of neck sprains, reduces stiffness in the neck, shoulders and knees, strengthens the ankles and tones the ligaments of the arms and legs. Trikonasana is also very effective in reducing weight.
3. Sarvangasana (Shoulder Stand) for Weight Loss
Lying on the back with the hands under the mid-back, the legs and lower body are lifted so that the weight of the body is supported on the head, neck, shoulders and upper arms. Sarvangasana or shoulder stand is a yoga pose wherein the whole body is balanced on the shoulders. It is also a part of the Padma Sadhana yoga sequence. ‘Sarv’ means all, ‘anga’ means part of a body, and ‘asana’ is posture. As the name indicates, Sarvangasana influences the functioning of all parts of your body. This asana is highly beneficial in maintaining the mental and physical health and is also referred as ‘Queen of asanas’.
Hold for 5-6 breaths, and work towards 30 seconds.
4. Virabhadrasana (Warrior Pose) for Weight Loss
- The arms are stretched up, palm touching.
- Inhaling spread the legs sideways by jumping or stepping, creating a gap of 2/3 body height.
- Exhaling turn the trunk facing to the left while rotating the left foot 90° so it faces forward and the right foot so it points slightly to the right
- Bend the left knee till the thigh is parallel to the floor, avoid extending the bent knee past the ankle and keeping the other leg straight.
- Stretch the right leg, with the knee locked.
- The head, chest, left knee and left foot should be aligned facing forward.
- The head should be bent back and up with the eyes facing the hands.
- Hold the asana from one to four breaths.
- Return to Step 4 repeat on the other side.
5. Setu Bandh (Bridge Pose) for Weight Loss
This asana is good for Weight Loss, thighs, lower back and the core. For doing this asana, lie down on your back and bend your knees so that your feet's rests on the floor. Keep the same distance between your feet and buttocks as your hands. Now, try to lift your body in the upward direction. Do this for 5-10 times & then release.
6. Bakasana (Crow Pose)
Begin in a low squat with your hands on the mat in front of you and your fingers spread wide. Your knees should be wider than your arms. Come up on your tip toes, and place the knees on the edges of your upper arms. Your knees shouldn’t be directly on the upper arms, but closer to the edges or outside of your upper arms. Slowly shift your weight forward until your toes are just barely touching the ground. First try to lift one foot up in the air, then the other. Keep your back rounded and your core engaged. The asana causes Weight Loss & strengthens the shoulders, arms, wrists and hands, as well as the core muscles and organs of the abdomen.
7. Surya Namaskar for Weight Loss
Surya Namaskar or Sun Salutation is an ancient technique of paying respects to the Sun and constitutes 12 different postures.
- Postures are a good blend of warm-ups and asanas.
- It helps to keep you disease-free and healthy.
- Regular practice of Surya Namaskar promotes balance in the body.
- It improves blood circulation throughout the body.
- Strengthens the heart.
- Tones digestive tract.
- Stimulates abdominal muscles, respiratory system, lymphatic system, spinal nerves and other internal organs.
- In addition, it tones the spine, neck, shoulder, arms, hands, wrist, back and leg muscles, promoting overall flexibility.
- Psychologically, it regulates the inter-connectedness of body, breath, and mind, thus making you calmer and boosting the energy levels with sharpened awareness.
- There are also specific benefits of Surya Namaskar for weight loss, hair, and skin.